Old 13-10-2004, 09:14 PM
mimus

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:50:56 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
wrote:

I have some older oyster mushrooms that are a little too far gone to eat.
I'd like to cultivate them. When I did a google search on the topic, I
either got instructions that were very complicated, or hits for people
selling kits.

I don't care about sure-fire methods, so having something complex is not
worth it. I need something relatively simple that has a chance of working,
as opposed to excellent chance of working.

Any suggestions or URLs you could recommend?

You can grow the dam' things on newspaper, or rather in newspaper-
stuffed cardboard boxes . . . .

Then IIRC you induce fruiting by tossing the boxes in water for a day
or so, and allowing them to drain.

They're (wonderfully) meaty, so I imagine the yield in terms of caps
per pound of newspaper is probably pretty low.

--
..sigzip*