Old 13-10-2004, 02:38 PM
Roy

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 00:59:17 GMT, "Nedra"
wrote:

===Well ... I don't know about any one else But your cavalier attitude about
===the
===fish kill is nothing but sickening! I just don't care to read anymore about
===it.
===
===Nedra

Not that your likely to hear about it or read what I post any more,
but just how do you figure I hve a cavalier attitude.........about my
fish kills. I have more things to do and take care of and places to
be than outside gathering up dead stinking fish for the last two
days. I certainly am not overjoyed about it, but its a natural
occuring event in nature in a natural pond and happens all the time in
lots of larger ponds..........especially this time of year when days
are overcast and naturally occuring algae blooms die
off.........Perhaps if I had an unlimited supply of money I could
install a full filter system in this pond.. and add additioanl larger
enclosures or evenbuild a new pond to start off with just Koi etc etc
etc.....care to donate? I am open for all suggestions on ridding my
pond of all the game fish it contains...........but odds are any
suggestions were probably tried numerous times over the years, not
just since I got interested in koi keeping.........We have seined the
pond, a lot of times, hard to seine a pond to harvest fish with an
irregular bottom and as deep a mine is..............try it
sometime.........we have allowed the general public to come in and
fish it............we have used fish traps..............and I have
used a cast net almost daily to harvest lots of the bass and bream
which I relocate to other ponds .........and yet this pond is still
very over populated in general with fish..most of which are small in
size for their age due to it not being fished properly in the
begining. To keep a pond balanced that you stock, you have to take a
certain percentage of fish of various species out on a routine basis,
and if you do not, it will go to hell in a hand basket pretty darn
quick.............so this naturallay occuring process that is occuring
now is just mother nature.........not anything I really could
controll. There are probably more ponds out there with lots of fish
dying in them right now, without a aeration of any
sort............While I do now have a means of aeration of the larger
portion of the pond I find it personally advantageous to let nature do
its thing, and thin out (will never be eliminated totally) the fish
population. There is a limit in man made ponds and natural ponds and
lakes that will suppoort any given amount of fish period. Exceed that
limit and fish suffer.......and odds are its more of a problem in the
south with the hotter temps that support heavy thick algae blooms most
all year long............and then you get overcast days and algae
dies..........its a naturally occuring cycle which I have no control
over, I am just taking advantage of it. Times have changed since this
pond was built over 20 years ago.............folks that used to fish
it back then (my sons and their friends) have grown up and oved off to
start their own lives, others have died, or list interest in fishing,
or folks just do not have time to fish anymore as they need to
work......the reasons are endless.........I just did not decide one
day to build a pond so I could let it get full of fish so I could
"enjoy" watching them die! There is no doubt once this event is over
those that will survive it, will have a much better quality of life
and the pond will be in better balance than it ever has been
before......or perhaps you may think it better if I just let it be,
and allow it to turn into a foul smelling mud hole typical of a lot of
farm ponds with cows wading in it. That process certainly would be a
lot easier for me in the long run and I could once again get back
inside my air conditioned shop and enjoy my metal working hobbies once
again and not have spent an entire hot humid summer outside constantly
improving and working on the pond...I could have saved a ton of money
by not buying the pumps and supplies I have just bought this year
alone........So you all tell me, just what you would have done in this
situation.......I am all ears..........

If my presence is not wanted or my posts not appreciated, say so and
I'll be on my way.......but each indiviual situation is different, and
each is entitled to their own opinion........and when it comes right
down to it, the one paying for and doing the work is going to do what
they feel is best for what they have the ability and means to
accomplish.

Regards!

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.