Old 13-10-2004, 06:07 PM
Chris Hogg

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 07:20:58 -0700, "kateh" kateh_1atcharter.net
wrote:

"Chris Hogg" wrote
They're not fully hardy BTW. Don't know how cold it gets in Washington
state, but dieramas are from South Africa, where they only get light
frosts at worst. They may not survive if they go below -5C/23F. An
alternative might be to grow them in pots which you plunge in the
garden during frost-free months, but bring them in for the winter.

Appreciate the heads-up! I guess the label Hardy-Dierama........is a
bit subjective. I planned to treat them like my outdoor
rosemary....which I cover/mulch each year. If they don't make it.........I
guess I'll cry and start again ........in pots.

I have two hardy fuchsia (magellanica riccartonii.....the grand
experiment).......tell me I don't have to mulch those as well!
KateH

F. riccartonii is one of the hardiest, probably down to -15C/5F. If it
does get cut by frost, it often recovers. F. Mrs Popple is another
tough one.

--
Chris