Old 14-10-2004, 12:50 AM
Jenny

I'm not sure we have county extension agents here in MA. I've never heard
anything about one and I read everything local. I also think I read that the
ag school at UMASS doesn't do soil tests anymore.

The edges are fine. It's just splotches. And, yes, lots of maples are
affected, particularly saplings in the wetter part of the property. But I
also have seen splotches on a bunch of what I think are black birches and
chestnut saplings and a couple of other things I haven't figured out what
they are.

I'm going to hope for the best, since there are far too many trees to go
squirting them. I did the same thing Doug described with a bunch of trees at
a house I owned in a suburb years ago. I got talked into a very expensive
oil treatment that supposedly was all that could keep my 40 foot blue
spruces from immediate death. I drove by that house a few years ago. The
folks who bought the house from me sixteen years before had let it
deteriorate into a no-maintenance slum, but it still had gorgeous tall blue
spruces all around. Either that was one powerful treatment I paid for, or
the trees were just fine. g

--Jenny.

"FACE" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 05:35:46 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

in rec.gardens wrote:

"Jenny" wrote in message
Almost all the trees around our property have nasty round brown or

black
fungus-y spots on the leaves, no matter what the species. Is this just
because we have had a very wet year?

Will the trees be fine in the spring when they put out new leaves or

are
my
trees in the kind of trouble that requires expensive treatments.

These trees are from patches of woods surrounding a country property,

not
planted specimen trees.

You left out some information, like where (in the world) you live and how
long you've lived on that particular property. If you have access to that
info, it would add greatly to the ability to provide answers.

If you have a county extension agent, he/she will most likely accept a
sample of the problem and identify it. Are the leaves crisping black on

the
edges along wiht the spots?

FACE