Old 14-10-2004, 01:43 AM
HA HA Budys Here

Hi, I am planning to install a small DIY irrigation system in my 1000
sq. foot backyard. I have a hose spigot in the back of the house, and
have been told that for a small system I can probably connect it
directly to the spigot rather than running a new water line before the
spigot. Can anyone advise on this? The system I envision would be set
up like a drip system, but using conventional RainBird (or equivalent)
pop up heads. I would connect an anti-siphon valve to the spigot, then
a battery operated timer, then PVC pipe would run into the ground and
out to the yard. Any advice is appreciated. I don't need multiple
zones and would like to do this as simply as possible.

thanks,
Justin

You don't need multiple zones only if your water supply can operate the entire
setup and all of it's heads simultaniously. I doubt a 10 x 100 or 25 x 40' area
can be effectively watered using only one "zone" of popup spray heads with a
1/2" supply pipe unless you have really high water pressure.

Your best bet is to purchase the piping and fittings and spray heads and
whatever cheap-o mock-up plastic fittings you'll need to build the system and
connect it to the spigot before digging or burying anything. Then run it above
ground and see if it works before you commit yourself to one zone.

Also, as others suggested, it's easy enough to convert a single spigot to a 2
or 3 spigot in case you need more than one zone and timer and still want to use
a hose occasionally w/o having to disconnect anything.