Old 14-10-2004, 07:51 AM
jay jay jay jay is offline
Registered User

Location: south west france

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie C
Hi All,

I recently moved to the south of France from the northeast part of the
US, so I'm completely unused to the new climate, and am not sure what to
expect. I have planted some raspberry bushes and I'm wondering if I
should expect them to shed their leaves in the autumn, or if they stay
green all year. Where I'm from, in Massachusetts, the leaves would have
fallen by now, so I'm just a bit surprised to see these small plants
looking very green and happy.

Do they need any special treatment to make them stop growing before
winter (such as it is) sets in? Stop watering them perhaps?

Thanks,

Ellie (whose French isn't yet up to posting in the French gardening group!)

Hi Ellie,

Greetings from the Dordogne! I have just been out to have a look at my raspberry plants and the leaves are just turning red/brown, before they die down for the winter. As you are in the south of France, your season is probably a bit later than here. I'm pretty new to gardening so I don't know a lot about raspberries - but I can help on a couple of things. Raspberries are a cold weather fruit (I come from Scotland where they grow beautifully). This year my three raspberry bushes produced three fruits between them. I can only put that down to the hot, dry weather we had in June. Next year I am going to move them to a shadier part of the garden and also try some autumn fruiting varieties. Hope this helps.

Jay Jay