Old 14-10-2004, 10:09 AM
Antipodean Bucket Farmer

Default Different Variety Flower Compatability

Hi, Everybody,

It is springtime here, so I just bought some small
potted capsicum (bell pepper) plants. I got two
labeled simply "Orange" and two labeled "California
Yellow" (no technical names.)

I also got four tomatoes, but selected all the same
variety: "Moneymaker."

This got me wondering, with these different varieties
(breeds, I guess), are the flowers compatible at all?

If a bee hops from a flower on the "Orange" capsicum
plant, into a flower on the "Yellow" capsicum plant,
would the pollen on its feet trigger the genetic signal
to make a capsicum?

Can other plants, like, say a Beefsteak tomato and a
Moneymaker tomato do that?

If so, how might that effect the fruit/veggie?

Thanks in advance...

--
Guide To DIY Living
http://www.self-reliance.co.nz