Old 14-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Martin Sykes

"John Smith" wrote in message

Holly
Berberis
Hebe
Bamboo
Acer
Hydrangea
Viburnham
Cherry
Hawthorne
Rose
Spiria
Clematis
Penstemon
Cotinus
Philadelphus

It is the right time of year to take hardwood cuttings - pencil thick, foot
long, cut at bottom just below a leaf, cut off remaining leaves and LABEL
THEM! stick them in some well drained compost somewhere sheltered. Keep the
compost moist but not damp, and wait. Hardwood cuttings take quite a while
to root.

But -

Holly - I don't bother. It self seeds readily. If your's is a male with no
berries, you're better off getting a female from a friend
Berberis - Never got this to root from cuttings. v.difficult
Hebe - Quite easy
Bamboo - Use division instead - basically rip a bit off the main plant with
some root and pot it up
Acer - Haven't tried, but the ones I have bought are usually grafted onto
something else so probably not for the beginner
Hydrangea - Easy but I do semi-ripe cuttings earlier in the year
Viburnum, & Cherry - Don't know
Hawthorne - Self seeds readily
Rose - Cuttings very easy
Spirea - Have tried but no success with this
Clematis - internodal cuttings. You cut midway between two pairs of leaves
instead of just below one as with a normal cutting
Penstemon - haven't tried
Cotinus - Tried but no success - layering might work better
Philadelphus - Normal cuttings worked fine for me. I had more losses with
this but a few took.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )