Old 14-10-2004, 04:35 PM
Beecrofter

"Jenny" wrote in message ...
Almost all the trees around our property have nasty round brown or black
fungus-y spots on the leaves, no matter what the species. Is this just
because we have had a very wet year?

Will the trees be fine in the spring when they put out new leaves or are my
trees in the kind of trouble that requires expensive treatments.

These trees are from patches of woods surrounding a country property, not
planted specimen trees.

Leaf spot diseases such as anthracnose and tarry spot are quite common
on trees in the northeast after a wet spring. They don't look good but
usually do no real harm. While they could be prevented by repeat
applications of fungicides there is really no point to it unless you
were trying to present unblemished nursery stock to customers.
Next year if we have a wet spring it will happen again.
Find your cooperative extension office and ask em to mail you a
leaflet on it.
Or do a litle web searching on the .edu sites that cooperative
extensions sponsor.
The UCONN one is pretty good.