Old 14-10-2004, 03:37 PM
Princess Spendalotta

ANd would't the salt from sea water be a problem if you did not treat the
driftwood first?

"wendy7" wrote in message
Hi Dustin, There are cork trees which are grown for the harvesting of
the bark to make wine bottle corks.
I use a lot of driftwood as I also grow Tillandsias (air plants)
so collected pieces everytime we went on vacation.
One piece had Termites & I didn't know it at the time! So I
soak everything using Malathion & then with clear water. This is
difficult to do as wood floats. I used a nylon mesh turkey bag with
a rock & some driftwood, tied it up & the weight of the rock kept
the wood under water. I have use bleach too.
I like to use grape wood sticks but they are hard to find?

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Dustin wrote:
Almost all of my plants are mounted on cork bark, tree fern or well
aged driftwood. With the recent hurricanes there are plenty of nice
freshly fallen pieces of oak around. Is that safe to mount plants
on? I thought that cork came from oak trees. . .

Dustin