Old 13-10-2004, 09:22 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

How are you going to verify that your proposed breeding plans do not
result in the introduction of a poisonous content into the berries?

How can you ever? Black nightshade isn't poisonous - well, no more
poisonous than a tomato. The green parts are as poisonous as a tomato
plant, likewise the berries as deadly as green tomatoes. The Garden
Huckleberry is in the same position AFAIK, the green parts are mildly
poisonous.

Someone at Kew was disturbed by my mentioning that I ate Black
nightshade berries. She was told by a colleague that this was common
practice.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/