Old 14-10-2004, 07:33 PM
mandyp mandyp is offline
Registered User

Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Maclaren
In article ,
mandyp
writes:

| We've recently moved into a house where the garden is nothing short of
| a mess. We need a patio removed and an area that is overrun with a
| combination of weeds/plants removed. It's too big a job for someone as
| inexperienced as we are, does anyone have any idea of what this may
| cost before I make enquiries...also, when is the best time to get it
| done.

Don't be intimidated - it is easier than you think to clear ground,
if you have the right tools (NOT necessarily expensive power ones).
How big is the area, what is it overrun with, and what do you want
to do with it?

Having a normal patio removed is cheap. Get several quotes from
local builders (ones with permanent addresses or recommendations,
not cowboys that leave cards through the door).

| 2nd question, I have privet hedges down both sides of the garden, the
| bottom of which is overgrown with a weed that I'm told is called Mayors
| tail. I've tried to dig it out but can't get in because of the hedge
| roots, anyone got any ideas on how to get rid of it, it's even coming
| up through the grass and is everywhere in the patch that I mentioned
| above.

Horsetail or Mare's tail (Equisetum). That area is damp. To a
first approximation, you can't get rid of it. It's been around
for 300 million years and will outlast the human species. It's
not unattractive, so you could try living with it at the end and
mowing it in the lawn.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
My incorrect spelling certainly explains why I couldn't find anything when I did a google on it!!

The slabbed area is about 7 ft X 8 ft. There are also bits of path that are crazy paving in concrete and the area full of Mare's tail (correct spelling!) and a variety of plants/bushes and trees is about 9 ft X 9 ft. It was our intention to grass this as the opposite side of the garden gets the sun, so we'd like a patio there.

To be honest, it's as much a time issue for paying someone to do this, I attempted to dig out weeds and spent a day trying to clear an area about 3 ft square! You're probably right, tools would help, I was working with a shovel and fork. It looks daunting and in light of the time I spent I thought it'd be easier to get someone in.

Thanks for your post!