Old 14-10-2004, 05:32 PM
FACE

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:48:24 +0100, "David Hill"
in rec.gardens wrote:

I just wonder why you want to pick up the acorns.What are you going to do
with them?
I have 4 oak trees all over 50 yrs of age which shed loads of acorns but
within a few weeks they are taken by squirrels, Jays, pigeons, mice etc,
and I doubt if I find more than about 20 a year trying to grow.

You wonder why? That is a reasonable question. But let's do a small
comparison:

Experience shows that i will have several hundred sprouting by spring and
these things will have put down a 4" tap root into clay based soil. They
are not easy to pull at that point. I do not have much more oaks in number
than you. I have 6 but they are amazing producers -- and 70 to 85 feet
tall.

FACE