Old 14-10-2004, 06:17 PM
FACE

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:54:25 GMT, "Bob" in
rec.gardens wrote:

"FACE" wrote in message
.. .
In lower zone 7, does anyone else notice an unusually large

acorn crop this
year?

It is literally crunchy in the backyard. Possibly because I

have gotten up
the early fall Maple and Poplar leaves I notice it.

I have picked up over 20 gallons from the ground but that is

not even a
dent.

Anyone know of some really great way to get them up?

My lawn sweeper does a pretty good job on mountain ash berries. I
bet it would do acorns too. Try renting one.

http://www2.yardiac.com/long.asp?tgs...item_id=846 1

Bob

Well that (url) certainly looks like a good idea to go over flat areas.

I have been raking and then using a kitchen dustpan on the piles in some
areas.

The backyard is largely landscaped but in the flat areas-- mostly zoysia --
I have been playing "Christina's World" in the late of the day with a five
gallon bucket which I can fill in 60 square feet or so.

I had considered my yard blower, which has the vacuum attachments, but past
experience shows that I can eat up it's plastic fan pretty quick if the
wrong thing gets sucked up. (Hickory burrs will do it for one thing).

And to another respondee, yes, the barefoot lawn plays into it all, if
you've ever dropped to your knees in what should be soft lawn and had one
knee go onto an acorn -- well you know why I want them out of there.
Actually the hard caps are not as painful as a fat hard acorn.

FACE