Old 14-10-2004, 10:24 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Will wrote:
The large ivy all over the wall of a friends house came down in a
recent storm. I have cut it back to about 6 ft from the ground and
noticed that the trunk is about 6 - 8 ins.diameter. My friend

wants
to keep it and not let it grow so rampant in the future .........
however is concerned that as the roots are so near and in fact

must
be going under the house would they be likely to cause any

structual
damage etc.
Not sure of name but it is the large leafed green & white

varigated
leaf type.

It doesn't have a reputation for doing that. And, if it has got to
that size without doing so, it probably won't. But, as always,
free advice is worth what you pay for it, and you should get in a
professional if seriously concerned.

I wouldn't recommend ivy on a house wall, even on a wall without
windows. If you don't cut it back religiously twice a year it gets
into cracks or joins between wall and woodwork, widens them, and also
prevents air circulation and so may encourage timber decay. Once it
gets to the eaves, it can play the Devil -- even breaking slates by
growing between them. Like Nick, I've never heard of its roots doing
any structural damage, though. I'd say kill it off and replace with
Virginia creeper, wistaria, hydrangea petiolaris, vitis Brandt, or
something.

Mike.