Old 14-10-2004, 11:39 PM
jerry

Default reasonable plan, price for 3,000 sq ft?

I live in southern Pennsylvania. Grubs destroyed most of my back lawn,
leaving about 3,000 sq ft in need of replacement. I got started on the
restoration myself, removing the dead turf and killing the nasty varmints
.... but the job is too big for me to finish.

A contractor is proposing to do the following:

-- till the (now bare) damaged areas
-- grade
-- dethatch/rake the surrounding balance of the back lawn
-- seed the regraded section
-- overseed the dethatched area
-- return in spring to apply an early-season course of Merit to prevent a
recurrence of the grubs.

Cost quoted for all of the above is $600, and he'd do it next week. He says
there's no need to wait for spring, plenty of good grass-growing weather
this fall.

Is this a 1) a reasonable plan, and 2) a reasonable cost?

I've had no luck in getting additional contractors to quote on the job ...
they're all too busy.