Old 15-10-2004, 02:35 AM
MLEBLANCA

Wish there was some use
for them. I checked for recipes, but they seem to be more trouble than
they're worth culinarily- is that a word?

Yes, they must be leached to remove the tannic acid to be edible, but they are
very nutritious. Calif Valley Oaks can have 6% Protein, 18% fat, and 68%
carbohydrates.
Also contain magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, potassium and sulfur. They are an
acquired taste-they were pretty good in the cookies I tasted. Acorns were the
main staple in the diet of the Calif Indian tribes, making up about 45 % of the
diet. Usually ground into flour and made into a mush or soup.

Emilie
NorCal