Old 15-10-2004, 03:30 AM
jerry

Yes, we've done two courses of contact pesticide (not diazinon, which is no
longer available) -- one liquid, one granular.

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"jerry" g.miller@NOSPAMgmailDOTcom wrote in message
I live in southern Pennsylvania. Grubs destroyed most of my back lawn,
leaving about 3,000 sq ft in need of replacement. I got started on the
restoration myself, removing the dead turf and killing the nasty varmints
... but the job is too big for me to finish.

A contractor is proposing to do the following:

-- till the (now bare) damaged areas
-- grade
-- dethatch/rake the surrounding balance of the back lawn
-- seed the regraded section
-- overseed the dethatched area
-- return in spring to apply an early-season course of Merit to prevent a
recurrence of the grubs.

Cost quoted for all of the above is $600, and he'd do it next week. He

says
there's no need to wait for spring, plenty of good grass-growing weather
this fall.

Is this a 1) a reasonable plan, and 2) a reasonable cost?

I've had no luck in getting additional contractors to quote on the job
they're all too busy.

Should we assume you have already treated the area with diazinon - or are
you against using chemicals ? I used it in southern NYS and it worked for
me - but there are just a couple times a year when it works good.