Old 15-10-2004, 05:07 AM
Alan Walker

Nic: I wouldn't put much stock in it. I just got these straight
out of Kodansha's Romanized Japanese-English Dictionary.
Much more useful is Yuji Yoshimura's classic listing of
Japanese names for trees which can be found in Appendix 3 of
Yoshimura & Halford's The Japanese Art of Miniature Trees and
Landscapes. In the version I'm looking at now, it is on pp.
184-205. There are 340 listings from abura-giri to zumi.
Since this is a classic bonsai book, long in print, which
everyone who is serious about bonsai should have, I recommend
that you simply refer them to this resource for Japanese tree
names.

Alan Walker