Old 15-10-2004, 03:13 PM
Merle O'Broham

(MLEBLANCA) wrote in message ...
Wish there was some use
for them. I checked for recipes, but they seem to be more trouble than
they're worth culinarily- is that a word?

Yes, they must be leached to remove the tannic acid to be edible, but they are
very nutritious. Calif Valley Oaks can have 6% Protein, 18% fat, and 68%
carbohydrates.
Also contain magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, potassium and sulfur. They are an
acquired taste-they were pretty good in the cookies I tasted. Acorns were the
main staple in the diet of the Calif Indian tribes, making up about 45 % of the
diet. Usually ground into flour and made into a mush or soup.

Emilie
NorCal

Thanks. I imagine they'd taste something like walnuts maybe and
sweetened according to what you're making. I've read that exact same
thing about the natives using acorns for mush and breads. "Leaching"
would be boiling them up til their soft, right? It does seem a waste
to throw all those acorns in the garbage/compost- they're so nice and
meaty. By aquired taste, you mean like oysters...?