Old 15-10-2004, 04:57 PM
Ray

I think the issue with downed oak is twofold: if the wood has bark, great,
but in time it - and the orchid attached to it - will fall off, and if you
remove the bark, the wood is likely to be so dense that its moisture-holding
capacity will be minimal. Granted, down your way that latter situation
might not be an issue.

I would be concerned about the chemistry of fresh wood, though. If I was in
your shoes I'd strip the bark and leave the wood out to "weather" a few
months before use. I have a lot of maples here in SE PA, and when dead
branches fall out of the trees - long since debarked and weathered - they
are great for mounting tolumnias and the like, but the plants will shy away
from fresh branches.

..
"Dustin " wrote in message ...
I thought about that, those trees are live and healthy though. I wasnt
sure if the fresh cut wood would break down and perhaps be too acidic or
something.

Dustin

Diana Kulaga wrote:

I know its a different kind of oak, I was just wondering if the type of
oaks we have here would be safe to use before it has dried out or
turned into "driftwood"

Look around! Loads of us Floridians grow orchids attached to our live
oaks,
so I can't see why using a piece of wood from one for a mount would be a
problem.

Diana