Old 15-10-2004, 07:23 PM
John Smith

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.217...
"Martin Sykes" wrote in
:

Cherry - Don't know

Haven't tried from cuttings. Seed is really easy if you have a fruiting
one, but doesn't come very true, so if you are trying to perpetuate a
particularly fine tree, no good, but otherwise just sow a handful of
cherry
pips: the fruit will certainly be good enough for the birds, and the wood
fine for turning.

Penstemon - haven't tried

I've taken rooty divisions from these successfully, but am not sure that
you can do this with all varieties.

Aha! A quick Google turns up this site:
http://www.penstemania.co.uk/cutting.htm which explains the methods for
different Penstemon types.

Philadelphus - Normal cuttings worked fine for me. I had more losses
with this but a few took.

Me too. Woolworths sell viable rooted philadelphus cuttings in bags
(that's where my original came from), so they can't be that hard. I still
can't work out why some of them failed.... :-(

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

That's great - thanks for all the advice.