Old 15-10-2004, 11:42 PM
Klara

Charlie Pridham Writes
Pam it should start flowering in the Late Summer/Autumn, thru the
winter. So in the Spring I hard prune all mine to about 2", repot and
feed as required, then when the new growth is about 9" to 12" I cut it
all off for cuttings, leaving just one set of leaves per stem, when
they recover from this they goes out, spending the summer in a warm but
not particularly sunny spot until they come back into flower. Around
mid October I bring them in still in flower, normally all gone over by
end of Jan. T. grandifolia which we also have has a very similar timing
but T. paratropica flowers from Mid summer on and is a lot hardier and
tends to be herbaceous in habit (dies back below soil level each
winter) unfortunately it is white not purple!

Charlie, I'm not sure which we have, but it has quite large flowers. The
first summer it flowered all summer, but that was presumably something
the nursery had done, e.g. prune it much earlier?
But as we have no conservatory, do you think it will survive in the
house over winter, or should I board it with someone with a conservatory
over winter (thus presumably missing all the flowers, since it seems now
to have rejigged itself to winter flowering)?

--
Klara, Gatwick basin