Old 16-10-2004, 08:41 AM
Chris Hogg

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 22:27:11 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 15/10/04 19:14, in article
, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...

snip Ours is going great
guns
after about two or three years and the one we've seen in the Abbey

Gardens,
Tresco is very effective.
For those who don't know the plant, a Google image search will kick up a

pic
taken by Trevena Cross Nursery of the one in Tresco.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Sombody gave me one this year, is it worth growing then? it looked for all
the world like an evergreen russian vine! so I kind of lost interest (or is
my muelenbeckia present a different one :~)

*I* like it. ;-0 I think it's worth growing in certain areas. Ours is just
scrambling up the trunk of a Wisteria and onward and upwards but we have
friends in Salcombe who have it growing over a low wall which then plunges
down to a much lower terrace, hooking up with a few branches etc. on its way
down and I think it looks marvellous. I can't say you grow it for showy
flowers, though! It's probably fair to say that it's a bit of a curiosity.

It takes any amount of salt gales, but I'm not sure about frost. In
places it can become rampant (I've completely stripped mine out), and
will eventually smother and even kill everything it grows on. A bit
like a fine-leaved ivy.

--
Chris