Old 16-10-2004, 08:49 AM
Mike

Is it "correct" to promote a commercial website when using a Newsgroup

?

Goodness Me, Begorrrrrrrrrrrrrrahs.

Seems I have opened up another can of worms (He He) with this one.

Many thanks for the relevant responses.

However, I have never quite experienced a NG like this one.
Twice now I have posted serious questions only to find the 'thread drift'
and abuses beyond belief.
Will the net nannies out there please live and let live. You really do

have
serious problems.

I think many readers will agree that there is a need for "A" net nanny to
oversee the charter of a newsgroup, even if a pointer is made each
week/month to the Charter. "A" net nanny who can act with a bit of tact and
not a dozen each armed with a sledge hammer. The danger of the sledge hammer
tactic, as seen so often in this newsgroup, can backfire as it did in the
uk.local.birmingham newsgroup where a very strict virtually 24 hour sledge
hammer was wielded with as much tact as a bull in a china shop. That
newsgroup had two fingers stuck up at it and the trolls, the trash and the
stupid ran amok, ruining that newsgroup and it overflowed into other
newsgroups, such as here

There is a way of pointing out a charter and in other newsgroups I visit and
it works. If the charter does have to be pointed out, someone usually does
it with a bit of tact and decorum. Somehow this newsgroup does not have it,
more's the pity. The trouble with this newsgroup is that it is 'owned' by a
few and if things don't go how they like it, or if you are not invited into
the "Inner Sanctum Sanctorum", then you can expect quite hostile remarks
thrown at you.

I have been the victim of a net nanny, so I know what I am talking about.

There now follows a tirade against me.

Mike