Old 16-10-2004, 09:05 AM
Katra

In article ,
(mimus) wrote:

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:28:50 -0500, Katra
wrote:

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

(mimus) wrote:

You can grow the dam' things on newspaper, or rather in newspaper-
stuffed cardboard boxes . . . .

Then IIRC you induce fruiting by tossing the boxes in water for a day
or so, and allowing them to drain.

Can you point me at any links? I got some oyster mushrooms at a local
(Hudson Valley, NY) garlic festival, and want very much to grow my own.
I'll likely start with a kit from mushroompeople, but would like to do it
"from scratch."

Peace,

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic

I'm starting mine using toilet paper rolls inside of an ice chest after
eating the mushroom caps and grinding up the stems and bases in the food
processor. :-) As soon as the paper is colinized, I will introduce
hardwood chips and shavings and surround the paper rolls with that.

I have mycelia starting from the ground tissue already.

I did this this spring and got one flush before losing my cultures to
the heat, so am re-starting. :-)

About how big was this flush? in other words, did it look like a
worthwhile initial yield?

--
.sigzip*

No... but it was my first try. ;-)
I anticipate a better yield now that I finally got my hands on some
decene hardwood shavings!

At least they flushed, so the "science project" has some hope if I feed
them right this time.

I'll be sure to report in a couple of months once things get going
better, if they do.

If all else fails, go he

http://www2.mailordercentral.com/fun...SSPO100&VARIAT
ION=&AITEM=1&MITEM=1

Reasonable price for a good spawn start.
If mine fails THIS time, I'll be getting one, but I think I've done
enough research for it to work now...

I hope anyway!

k.

--