Old 16-10-2004, 09:28 AM
Sacha

On 16/10/04 8:41, in article ,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 22:27:11 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

snip *I* like it. ;-0 I think it's worth growing in certain areas.
Ours is just
scrambling up the trunk of a Wisteria and onward and upwards but we have
friends in Salcombe who have it growing over a low wall which then plunges
down to a much lower terrace, hooking up with a few branches etc. on its way
down and I think it looks marvellous. I can't say you grow it for showy
flowers, though! It's probably fair to say that it's a bit of a curiosity.

It takes any amount of salt gales, but I'm not sure about frost. In
places it can become rampant (I've completely stripped mine out), and
will eventually smother and even kill everything it grows on. A bit
like a fine-leaved ivy.

We had frosts to about -5 here last winter but as I say, this is up a house
wall which faces south, so that might have helped. It's scrambling around
on the same wall as the Wisteria, a Clematis rehederiana, a honeysuckle, a
Chaenomeles and a Rosa banksia, so perhaps they all help each other. One of
these days I almost expect the front wall of the house to subside into the
garden!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk