Old 16-10-2004, 09:54 AM
Ellie C

J Jackson wrote:

Dwayne wrote:
: Hi Ellie. If your raspberries dont do well where you are, get rid of them
: and put in blackberries. I grew them in Arkansas, and when we moved to
: Kansas I brought them with me. They are doing very well as far as growing
: normally is concerned, and we got our first crop off of them this year. The
: only problem is that they arent as sweet as in Arkansas, and I attribute
: that to the soil pH. Arkansas is more acidic (ph of about 6 where we were,
: and it is about 7.5 here). Have fun with your experiments, I know I do.
: Someone tells me "you cant grow that here", but doesnt tell me why, I take
: it more as a challenge than advice.

I'm not sure N. American "Black Berries" are the same as the European
"Balck Berry" or Bramble. Not sure how far south the bramble grows in the
wind in France.

They seem the same. We've always defined blackberries as berries where,
when you pull them off the plant, the little white nub stays in the
berry, whereas with raspberries and black raspberries, the white nub
stays on the plant.

: "jay jay" wrote in message
: ...
:
: Ellie C Wrote:
: Hi All,
:
: I recently moved to the south of France from the northeast part of the
: US, so I'm completely unused to the new climate, and am not sure what
: expect. I have planted some raspberry bushes and I'm wondering if I
: should expect them to shed their leaves in the autumn, or if they stay
: green all year. Where I'm from, in Massachusetts, the leaves would
: have
: fallen by now, so I'm just a bit surprised to see these small plants
: looking very green and happy.
:
: Do they need any special treatment to make them stop growing before
: winter (such as it is) sets in? Stop watering them perhaps?
:
: Thanks,
:
: Ellie (whose French isn't yet up to posting in the French gardening
: group!)
:
:
: Hi Ellie,
:
: Greetings from the Dordogne! I have just been out to have a look at my
: raspberry plants and the leaves are just turning red/brown, before they
: die down for the winter. As you are in the south of France, your
: season is probably a bit later than here. I'm pretty new to gardening
: so I don't know a lot about raspberries - but I can help on a couple of
: things. Raspberries are a cold weather fruit (I come from Scotland
: where they grow beautifully). This year my three raspberry bushes
: produced three fruits between them. I can only put that down to the
: hot, dry weather we had in June. Next year I am going to move them to
: a shadier part of the garden and also try some autumn fruiting
: varieties. Hope this helps.
:
: Jay Jay
: