Old 16-10-2004, 12:33 PM
Spider

Chris Hogg wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 14:10:09 +0100, "Spider"
wrote:

Hi everyone,

I would like to increase my stock of Muehlenbeckia (sp?) complexa, just

by a
plant or two. Has anyone on this ng tried taking cuttings - or is

layering
the best way to proceed? What time of year should it be attempted?

I would be very grateful for any advice.

Spider

The one on Tresco is huge, going up 50 ft or more! IME it roots
wherever it touches the ground. If you've already got one, have a look
at the trailing ends to see if any have rooted.

--
Chris

Thanks Chris and Sacha,

That all sounds very promising - except for the hardiness implications!, but
that's just another reason for taking cuttings.

As has been said, it's not a plant one buys for flowers, but I think it
makes a lovely textural foliage plant esp. for use with large-leaved plants.
In a 'jungle' setting, it would provide attractive liana-type swags .. or
indeed, more formal swags in an appropriate setting. I think of it rather
like an aerial box (buxus); it needs clipping to keep it in order, just as
box does. It can even be used for topiary. I bet flower arrangers rate it
highly, too.

Thanx once again.
Spider