Old 16-10-2004, 07:02 PM
Les Dowdell

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:28:07 GMT, Iris Cohen wrote:

Natsu = summer
Koyu = peculiar or characteristic
Ki = tree

The plant in question is a compact white Cattleya, smaller than standard size.
According to Bill Valavanis, natsu means summer, as you said, but he divided
the rest of the word differently. Yuki means snow and ko may mean small, and
that explanation makes the most sense.

Iris,

Bill's translation is probably the closest but I would group the 'ko'
and 'yuki' together to produce the word 'koyuki', meaning 'a light fall of
snow' or 'a light snow'. This gives the impression that the flowers are
similar to a light summer snowfall. Another set of kanji with the same
phonetics is less attractive and means 'powdery snow'.

As regards your request for the placement of stress on particular
syllables, my comment would be that the Japanese language does not use
stresses but, instead, uses rising and dropping inflections.

Best wishes in bonsai,
Les Dowdell
In Zone 3a where we just received an akikoyuki (light fall of snow in autumn)

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++