Old 17-10-2004, 10:51 PM
escapee

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 10:18:29 -0500, Rusty Mase opined:

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 09:11:36 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

But I've read that "ditchweed" is often not worth the effort?
True or false?

True, largely. What may occur as escapes around here and especially
the Capital are likely not ditchweed, though. Hemp used to be a major
fiber crop in the US and most cultivars were selected for growing
fibers. Escapes of this are likely the source of ditchweed. The
"pharmacological" effects could be very minor. Hemp grown now days
centers on cultivars with increased pharmacological effect and no
interest in the quality of the fibers.

Seeds planted around the Capital are likely cultivars of the latter.
As I recall this started back in the 60's when being caught in
possession of even a modicum of the stuff could lead to "life without
parole". It was a political statement to have the Capital in
violation of the possession laws.

On the other hand being caught around the Capital with even a few
seeds in your pocket could lead to serious legal problems, thus it was
an act that required some bravado.

Rusty Mase

I had a Great Uncle who lived in Kansas, Missouri and he had a corn farm.
Between the corn plants, he grew hemp. When we went to visit them back when I
was a kid in the late 50s, my father's eyes popped out of his head when he was
all that stuff! He thought it was the real thing, he has since told me. He put
a few shoe boxes of it in the car before we drove back to New York and when we
got home he had a fight with my mother, who then threw his "pot" out the window
of our 6th floor apartment!

That's my pot story.

I smoked pot with my dad for many years before he died. The days I wish I can
remember every second of.