Old 17-10-2004, 06:23 PM
Dan

Default Hi from snowy Edmonton (a larch question)

Hi,
Firstly, I'd like to introduce myself. A bonsai newcomer, (two years),
in Edmonton, Canada where my favourite larch forest is now comfortably
sleeping under a foot of snow.

I would like to make another small larch forest this coming spring.
Having read about collecting plants, most info seems geared towards
collecting mature specimens. What I am thinking of collecting is very
young larch.

I want to create a forest with smaller trees than I have now where the
average height is 14 to 18 inches tall. Since I will be looking for
larch which might be 10 inches high can they be root trimmed
immediately and put into a forest setting or do they need to be
transplanted into pots for a year or two before they are made into
bonsai?

Dan