Old 17-10-2004, 06:26 PM
Ellie C

Janet Baraclough.. wrote:

The message
from Ellie C contains these words:

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

The message
from Ellie C contains these words:

I recently moved to the south of France from the northeast part of the
US, so I'm completely unused to the new climate, and am not sure what to
expect.

Unfortunately the climate of the south of France is unlike anything in
the UK, so unless you are lucky enough to meet another visitor here who
comes from that region, I fear that you won't get any definitive
answers.

Amusing to hear about how different the winters are. I lived in Ireland
for a while and found their winters to be similar to the winter here in
France. But it's all in how delicate your perceptions are, I think.
Coming from Massachusetts, where the ground freezes 4 feet down and
there's snow cover from December to April, the winters in France and
England and Ireland all seemed similar to me - like a long autumn
followed by a long spring. :-)

The climate difference mentioned is not just about winter's lowest
temperature. The south of France has higher light levels even in winter,
and hotter sunnier summers than the UK, which makes a considerable
difference to plants.

Janet.

Yes, the light levels are different. And, interestingly enough, our
house here in France is actually north of where I lived in the US
(Massachusetts). I guess I'll get more information from posting to the
US gardening newsgroup, since the US has someplace similar to just about
anywhere in Europe.