Old 17-10-2004, 11:26 PM
Les Dowdell

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 18:26:53 EDT, Billy M. Rhodes wrote:

All this discussion of Japanese names is interesting BUT here in Florida most
of what I grow does not have a Japanese equivalent. How do you say Ficus
salicifolia (nerifolia), natalinsis, heteropodia, benjamina, retusa,

burtt-davyi,
macrophylla. microcarpa, petiolaris, etc.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

Billy

If you seriously want Japanese names for various Ficus species you may
want to talk to bonsai growers from Okinawa, in southern Japan. I recently
saw a Ficus bonsai (from Okinawa) in a recent issue of Kindai Bonsai (May,
2004, Pg. 10). It looked like it may have been a F. retusa and was called
gayumaru.

If you do not seriously want Japanese names for various Floridian
bonsai, then I will point out that this topic dealt with finding an English
'translation' of a Japanese name, not finding a Japanese name for an English
or latin name. Not everything has to be translated to another language.

Best wishes in bonsai,
Les Dowdell (aka hokkoku)
living in a hokkoku.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++