Old 18-10-2004, 02:33 AM
Pam - gardengal

"MSR" wrote in message
. uk...
Can anyone recommend?.

I have a apticular criteria.

My wife wants a cooking apple. The problems a

It needs to be able to trained to grow along a trellis.
It should be self fertile.
And it should be able to withstand harsh winters (I live high up so

imagine
Scottish Winters).
I hope someone can suggest a vaiety and if possible a supplier.

Cheers

Mark.

I assume you reside in the UK. Apples common to a US climate and growing
conditions may not be suitable to yours, although most apple varieties will
be very cold tolerant. Ripening time may be more relevent. Also self-fertile
cultivars may be a problem - there are very few truly self-fertile apples
and even those will produce better crops with another cultivar to cross
pollinate. I'd look for Cox's Orange Pippin. A good, all-purpose apple and
as close to self-fertile as they get. Another possible choice is Liberty,
however that may be more of a North American variety and is only partially
self-fertile. And any apple can be grown along a trellis or espaliered - you
just need to get it young enough and train it.

pam - gardengal