Old 18-10-2004, 07:32 AM
Neil Tonks

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Vincent Burgum" wrote...
Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong. I grew potatoes for the first
time this year. For Earlies I planted Rocket, and for Maincrop used King
Edward. Both types produced wh\t I considered decent looking spuds in
reasonable quantities, but when I tried to ccok them they were bopth
terrible. Both varieties turned to a mushy pulp when boiled, but both
were
ok when chipped. What did I do wrong?

What you did wrong was plant the wrong varieties.
Rocket is supposed to be a good all-rounder with a waxy texture but
obviously on your soil it isn't.
King Edward is a floury spud and will beak up on boiling, which is why it
good for roasting, baking, chips and mash.
Both these varieties have a rating of 6 for disintegration on boiling.
For next year try the following if you like your spuds boiled but don't
like them mushy. (information from British Potato Council)
First Early...
Arran Pilot; Duke of York( when young); Dundrod
Second Early ...
Carlingford; Maris Peer; Spunta; Wilja
Main Crop...
Nicola; Pentland Hawk;
All the above have a rating of 8 or 9.

--
Regards
Bob

I had the same problem with Rocket, grown in the light sandy soil of the
garden I then had. Even when dug very young, it still disintegrated in a few
minutes when boiled. I only grew it the once!

Neil.