Old 18-10-2004, 11:47 AM
Franz Heymann

"BAC" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:08:46 +0100, "Martin Sykes"
wrote:

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in

message
All energy sources on earth, past, present and future are

derived from
the
sun.

Actually, tidal energy comes from the moon's gravitational pull

and
geothermal energy comes from inside the earth, but everything

else -
coal,
oil, gas and wind is driven by the sun.

and nuclear power?

Quite right, the sun is powered by nuclear fission, so it could be

argued
all the energy sources 'claimed' for the sun are in fact a form of

'nuclear
power'.

If only we humans could attain the holy grail of controllable

fission power
generation, cutting out the middleman :-)

Fission power has been i use since 1945 or so. It is perfectly
capable of supplying our energy needs for the foreseeable future, if
we were to get cracking at building power plants as fast as possible.
Fusion power, if it ever comes, is actually going to have side
considerations similar to that of fusion power, namely, what to do
with the ash.

Franz