Old 18-10-2004, 10:56 PM
George Pontis

In article MPG.1bd8f28faa06c35c989685@news-server, ty1xlnf02
@sneakemail.removethis.com says...
In article ,
says...
In article MPG.1bd65c6ac2a9eb7f989682@news-server, ty1xlnf02
@sneakemail.removethis.com says...

Even though I don't have much electrical engineering experience, I'm
open to trying some of the DIY options I've read about. Anybody have any
recent experience with that? Anybody know of any good places to get low
voltage/high current (24 V @ 11+ A) step down transformers?

Tortran (
www.tortran.com ) makes nice toroidal transformers in that range. They
have a 300VA version and another at 500VA. (VA and watts are equal for a heater.)
These have two secondaries of 12V each, so you would connect them in series to get
24V output. The 500VA model is only $67, but comes without a box or anything, just
a large transformer with wires brought out. If you want to put one in a box
(recommended to protect your connections from getting wet) be sure to get the
mounting hardware.

If you like ebay you could possibly find one there too. 120V input, 24V output
transformers with high current ratings are fairly common.

George,

Here's my thread with a contact at Tortran:

Is that worth the extra dough, or would it be easy enough for a layman

to by the bare transformer and build a box with $15 worth of Radio Shack
components?

Sorry for the late response. The wiring is very simple and you should not have any
trouble building it yourself. Instead of a thermal cutout, which protects against
transformer overheating from too great a load, you can just put a fuse in series
with the transformer primary. A 3A, 250 volt slow-blow would be about right for
your 300W application. Whatever you do, please be sure to take some steps to
prevent water from getting in your box and defeating the insulation. I use a GFI
in the wall but would also ground the box if it is metal.