Old 18-10-2004, 06:54 PM
Aidan

"Lobster" wrote in message ...

I believe that simply chopping it down could cause more harm than good, ie
if there are roots under the property which then rot away leaving voids...

I once had an involvment with a house which had a 'screen' of 20'-25'
leylendii planted along a path, about 3' from the wall. The building
had cracked & was being monitored by a surveyor. His advice then was
to trim them. The trees had caused subsidence by sucking water from
the sub-soil making it contract. Removing the trees would have caused
swelling of the sub-soil, and would have further added to the
problems.

I'd think you should fell it in instalments, but leave a 6'or 8' stub
to finally lever the roots out, as previously suggested by another.