Old 18-10-2004, 08:55 PM
BAC

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message
. ..

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

snip

Fusion power, if it ever comes, is actually going to have side
considerations similar to that of fusion power, namely, what to do
with the ash.

Not according to SEAFP in 1995.
See http://www.fusion.org.uk/focus/index.htm
and navigate to the 'safe and clean' section. If those conclusions

are safe,
fusion power plants, if ever built, should not present the same long

term
waste management problems as fission plants.

That article does not go into a solitary detail about the reactions
and reaction products of fusion reactions. The reaction being
studied is one involving the fusion of a deuteron with a triton. The
end products are an alpha particle and a high energy neutron. The
secondary radioactive products produced by these particles before they
are thermalised are not usually discussed when talking about fission.
{:-((

I thought you were implying that a (theoretical) fusion reactor would
produce similarly long lived 'nuclear waste' to existing fission reactors.
The article quoted implies it would not. Not being a nuclear physicist
myself, I saw no reason to doubt the worth of SEAFP's conclusions.