Old 18-10-2004, 10:32 PM
Franz Heymann

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Jeanne Stockdale wrote:

In the UK in December, the isolation is about 1-2

megajoules/sq.metre
per diem. If you can extract energy at 15%, you are doing well.

So,
to get 1 KW for 24 hours (assuming perfectly efficient storage),

you
need 300-600 square metres dedicated to solar panels. I don't

know
the average energy consumption per person, but I should guess a

few
kilowatts. Where were you proposing to put the panels?

That excludes the fact that the ones used to generate electricity
or hydrogen use toxic chemicals and cost more energy to make than
they save. Ones used to heat water would be worthwhile, if it
wasn't for the fact that our peak demands are in winter. Solar
power is at best a joke in the UK.

Where it WOULD help is if used by the Texans to run their air

conditioners.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Agreed that conventional solar panels are not efficient in the UK.

and only
of marginal efficiency in sunnier climates.
I propose therefore not to stick the panels anywhere.

I agree fully. All efforts should be directed at building nuclear
power stations as fast as is humanly possible. There really is no
other route available at present.

Franz