Old 19-10-2004, 07:54 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default Compound leaves: primitive? or why?

Curious idea came up about blackwalnuts and their compound leaves. Many
years back when I first learned that a leaf of blackwalnut was not just
one green blot like a oak leaf or a maple leaf but was some 7 or more
green blots on a stem.

So my question today is how did anyone come to realize that a
blackwalnut leaf was compound with many green blots?

Does compound leaf mean the blackwalnut was a recently evolved tree and
that noncompound leafed trees are geologically older.

And what survival value is it to a tree to have compound leaves rather
than noncompound?

Or is this compound leaf thing just semantics with no biological
difference from say oak leaves or rose leaves or apple leaves.

So what is the biological reasoning behind a compound leaf as compared
to noncompound leaves?

Curious thing this compound leafing is.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium