Old 19-10-2004, 09:20 AM
BAC

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message
. ..

"Franz Heymann" wrote in

message

"BAC" wrote in message

snip

The long lived waste is no problem at all. It is only the activities
of the anti-nuclear lobby which prevents it from being dealt with.
The obvious solution is to vitrify the ash and to dump it in the deep
ocean at the edge of a tectonic plate subduction zone, where it will
be sucked into the bowels of the earth and join the vast quantities of
natural radioactive material already there.

I am no expert, but I recall reading material which suggested that merely
dumping an object on the ocean floor in the vicinity of a subduction layer
would not guarantee subduction, because the ocean is around 6 miles deep,
and the underlying tectonic plates are as much as 50 miles deep. Delivering
waste material into an actual subduction layer may be beyond our current
technological capability?