Old 19-10-2004, 10:15 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Franz Heymann" writes:
| "Malcolm" wrote in message
|
| When Porter was at the Royal Institution, there was a very active
| research programme on trying to disentangle the details of the
| quantum
| processes by which photosynthesis proceeds. My own opinion is that
| solar energy will become a viable alternative for replacing fossil
| fuel energy when we know enough to produce photosynthesis on an
| industrial scale without the need for green plants.
| Is there a chemist amongs urglers who knows the status of research
| on
| the physics of photosynthesis?
|
| I'm trying to resist the temptation to say that no there isn't such
| person, but that won't stop several urglers telling you anyway!
|
| I look forward to what they might have to say. {:-))

Well, I am no chemist, but I know something. Yes, the mechanisms
are now known, at least in outline, but not enough to design systems
that will work any better than tanks full of Chlorella. Don't hold
your breath for one, either, though the projects for breeding more
efficient forms of Chlorella and other unicellular plants are going
well.

However, even that isn't necessary in countries that get a decent
amount of sunlight. There are plenty of crops which produce a lot
of oil suitable for 'biodiesel', and the residue makes a perfectly
good fuel for heating, electricity generation etc.

The biggest problem in most areas is the shortage of fresh water,
which is the reason for the Israeli roadmap separating the proposed
Palestinian 'state' from the Jordan by a buffer zone. It has nothing
to do with security, and is merely to seize the main water supplies.

This is why there is active research on things like Chlorella that
produce oils rather than starches, and will thrive in enclosed
habitats. I am not sure of their status.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.