Old 19-10-2004, 11:25 AM
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Arborvitae are now shedding their inner foliage. Just as white pines are
dropping older needles. At least here is pa.
Beings its from the center it makes me think you are just seeing shedding.

Much more on trees:
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman/SHIGO

--

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Tree Biologist
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com
To subscribe or unsubcribe to tree_biology list click below.
http://lists.ccil.org/cgi-bin/mailma...o/tree_biology

"Bob" wrote in message
t...
Last fall, we had 20 or so 5' arborvitae planted by our gardening guy.

They
browned up some during the winter, but pretty much came back over the
summer. Now they are all browning out from the center. It looks pretty
widespread and there is a lot of browning going on. Are we going to lose
them? I hope not - it was a lot of $$$ to plant them in the first place.

The
gardening guy says we need to water them - which we are doing, but it

looks
pretty bad. Any advice or anything? We live on Long Island, NY.

We planted arborvitaes because we thought they were fairly hardy and easy

care for. It seems to me they are awfully finicky. We should have gone

with
hemlocks.