Old 19-10-2004, 12:28 PM
Franz Heymann

"BAC" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in

message

"BAC" wrote in message
. ..

"Franz Heymann" wrote in

message

"BAC" wrote in message

snip

The long lived waste is no problem at all. It is only the

activities
of the anti-nuclear lobby which prevents it from being dealt with.
The obvious solution is to vitrify the ash and to dump it in the

deep
ocean at the edge of a tectonic plate subduction zone, where it

will
be sucked into the bowels of the earth and join the vast

quantities of
natural radioactive material already there.

I am no expert, but I recall reading material which suggested that

merely
dumping an object on the ocean floor in the vicinity of a subduction

layer
would not guarantee subduction, because the ocean is around 6 miles

deep,
and the underlying tectonic plates are as much as 50 miles deep.

Delivering
waste material into an actual subduction layer may be beyond our

current
technological capability?

I cannot prove its feasibility, but I see no reason why it should not
be possible. With GPS, the location of the boat carrying the stuff
can be determined to the nearest metre, if not better. The local
water currents are easily studied in great detail before anmything is
dumped. Remember that the fact that the ash has been vitrified will
contain it for millennia.

Franz