Old 19-10-2004, 02:08 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On 18 Oct 2004 21:49:41 -0700, (Katrina)
wrote:

Does anyone know how to keep the bugs and blight at bay when growing
tomatoes without using chemicals such as tomato dust? I have heard
that using the 'grey water' from the last cycle of the washing machine
works. Has any got any other suggestions? Thanks.

Soapy water will work to kill aphids, whitefly,and other small bugs,
which is probably why gray water from the washing machine was
mentioned. How safe that is would probably depend on what kind
of soap used or if you used a fabric softener. I've never heard of
a soap spray protecting against a blight, though. I suppose if the
coating of soap on the plant was thick enough, it might act as a
barrier; but the first rain would change that, and I don't imagine
that much soap would be very good for the plant.

Neem oil is a natural product that will kill insects and protect
against some blights, but being natural doesn't make it less
of a chemical.

Penelope