Old 19-10-2004, 04:16 PM

In uk.d-i-y Mike Lyle wrote:
N. Thornton wrote:
wrote in message

4-5", that's tiny! We have Leylandii with 12" or more diameter
trunks down either side of our drive (we are cutting them down
slowly).

Can you saw Leylandii up and use it as pine?

Probably; cypress wood is sometimes used, though of course it isn't
pine, and I've no idea of its characteristics. But you'd need a tall
trunk a lot thicker than 12" at the base to get any usable timber.

It's actually quite a lot denser and harder than pine.

When we started cutting down our biggish Leylandii I spent quite a
while searching around the internet to find what the wood was going to
be like, principally for burning on our stove.

Basically it's not half so bad as some people try and persuade you
(as wood that is, no comment on the beauty or otherwise of the trees).
If dried enough, as most other wood, it burns quite satisfactorily.
One site I found rated it as middling quality for burning which is about
our experience.

One other thing it's very good for is surviving untreated out of
doors. We have some 4" to 6" diameter posts laid on the ground to
mark out an arena that have been there for several years now and
they're still very sound even though the horses have chewed the bark
off completely.

--
Chris Green