Old 19-10-2004, 08:20 PM
Mike Lyle

Mike Lyle wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
jim wrote:

[...]
Ivy grows on derelict buildings and dead trees everywhere -

and
that's where it should stay.

Ivy doesn't read newsgroups, either :-)

[...]
Back to surprises, though. I find they're usually easy enough to

kill
off if you have to: try SBK on the freshly-cut surface of the

stump,
and the spots where you've ripped out any shoots along the ground.
Even just tearing off -- again, tear, don't cut -- any shoots you

see
will knock it out soon enough.

Sorry: in my intoxication with my own verbosity (or, indeed,
intoxication with this rather disappointing Sainsbury's vino), I
forgot to mention that if you need to take out an old ivy, some of
the stems, whether up the wall or along the ground, may not be
connected to the parent. They may be rooted branchlets which have
declared independence, or just seedlings: these will need to be
treated separately. A few seedlings will come up in subsequent years,
too, of course; but it's no big deal.

Mike.