Old 20-10-2004, 07:45 AM
Neil Tonks

"Gary Davis" wrote in message
On 10/13/04 1:09 PM, in article ,
"Lisa110" wrote:

Gary Davis Wrote:
On 10/12/04 10:52 AM, in article
,
"Lisa110"
wrote:
-
Hello,

I have just joined the forum and I am completely novice to all things
horticultural! So I did want to say hi !!!!

My main problems are as follows and I hope and pray that some advice
can be found...

I have a beautiful curly trained bay tree (in a pot) which has been
healthy looking until recently. First a sort of black mould appeared
on the leaves which I sprayed and that helped, but also quite a few
of
the leaves are turning yellow and falling off. My gut instinct is to
re-pot the tree as it has been in the same pot for about 3 years now
and I have read about using John Innes No3 with added grit for
drainage... but can I re pot it at any time of the year?

My 2nd problem is a privet type bush (shaped but only small) I
planted
it next to a bamboo and the bamboo has taken over, when can I move
it?

Also, as you might now gather I am completely un educated in
gardening
matters so even the most obvious advice is welcome.

Thanks

Lisa
-
Hi Lisa,
In your message you said this: " First a sort of black mould appeared
on the leaves which I sprayed ". My question is what did you spray on
the
leaves and why did you use that spray?
Gary
Fort Langley, BC
CAnada

Hi Gary, I cannot remember what I used but I used it on advice from a
garden centre.

Lisa

Hi Lisa
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your honesty.
Gary
Fort Langley BC
Canada

Lisa;

The black mould on the bay tree is probably sooty mould on the surface of
the leaves. This will be made worse if the plant is positioned somewhere
damp but prolonged wet weather will do the same. My bay tree gets it and it
seems to suffer no ill effects.

Bay trees do lose some leaves periodically and if not too many are being
lost and these are at the bottom of the shoots then it's possibly nothing to
worry about.

However, it may well be pot bound and if so you could re-pot it in spring
into a slightly larger container. My bay tree had this problem earlier this
year and after re-potting, it gained a new lease of life and put on lots of
nice healthy new growth.

Hope this helps.

Neil.